This article seemed to be kind of a hard read for me. I'm not exactly sure why but I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would have.
I understand that Rose wants the reader to understand what the people have gone through in new york and the division on the working class versus the poor community. It is also very clear that with hip hop their has and always will be a struggle.
The hip hop community is very much interrelated with one another such as the rappers, break dancers, and graffiti artists. While reading on page 408 about half way down the page, Rose explains that these three identities help one another. An example given was rappers displaying graffiti artists work on t-shirts and jackets and also having break dancers perform while rapping. This type of support is not uncommon in life in general but it is hard to find at times.
One of the sections in the article i did have trouble with was probably the urban context because it seemed quite wordy to me and my interest was lost.
Overall i enjoyed the article and understanding that hip hop has changed from a African and Hispanic way of life to a white man's money making life. While reading this article I had many thoughts in the back of my mind of certain things that one culture had established while the white-working man had taken over. Maybe I'm getting the wrong idea of the reading but this is what I had perceived.
Sunday, February 24, 2008
A Style Nobody can Deal With
Posted by ashlee at 7:28 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Good start... hope our class discussion helped you make more sense of this piece.
LB
Post a Comment