CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, March 30, 2008

3 teen articles

So when I first thought about my articles I figured I'd just pick three random articles. After finding my first article I decided to go with a theme. The theme for my articles is gay teens and educational flaws.
From the three articles I chose they dealt with schools not necessarily explaining sex education nor giving any information on homosexual relationship. Many of the districts have a huge problem with teaching students about sex. They feel that abstinence and sex after marriage is the only way to live life. The one thing that was said by an executive director of programs for the gay rights group in an article was, "The only plan gay youth are being given by the school system to prevent the transmission of sexually transmitted diseases is something that is not really available to them: marriage". This seems to be a great approach for some teachers in schools but the youth needs to know how to handle the changes they are going through being homosexual and they aren't learning this.
This would have to be the WHAT in my articles. Teens being ignored by high school sex education classes. In fact, an article I found had this title. An Elina Kuusisto knew at age 11 she had no interest in boys. She couldn't cope with the fact that during her sex ed classes in high school she found only information for her boy crazy friends. She was given no information on how she should feel or deal with being gay in high school.
The SO WHAT of these articles would have to be the non acceptance of gay teens in high school because the lack of education being given. It is hard enough for one to come out to ones family about being gay, let alone having strangers know something is different about you.
The NOW WHAT would have to be getting the education out as much as possible. This is a possible problem because of the topic being discussed. Religion and morals are a big thing that may cause problems with this. Many parents and school systems refuse this topic which isn't fair to the people who are okay with homosexuality and who have questions. Besides, sex education has no hetero prefix nor a homo, it is just SEX EDUCATION!

1 comments:

Dr. Lesley Bogad said...

I like how you picked a theme to help organize your thoughts. Great focus.