CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, March 2, 2008

Bad Boys or Misunderstood Boys?

I have to admit when I first began reading this the first quote I saw had me thinking I would hate this article. " That one has a jail cell with his name on it". After reading that first quote I thought wow we still have really ignorant teachers in our school systems today.

Okay so back on the topic of the what for this article. I understand that there are many males, of African decent that are known as "trouble makers" etc. but schools systems need to search a little deeper than that. This article surprised me so much with Ann Ferguson was able to open these young boys up and dig deep.

The so what with this article is the underlying meaning as to why males of different races, such as African American act the way they do in school. My own personally opinion is because of the responsibilities outside of school. Many of the lower income boys live with certain family member they might have to take care of and have to look after and this is stated on page 15 with Horace. He is known as a troublemaker and yet everyone he knows outside of school finds him to be respectful and diligent. Could this be because maybe in school he just wants to be an average kid and have some fun because at home he is unable to? In my honest opinion this seems to me like one of the better answers and I believe Ferguson states that on page 15 as well.

The now what, would be getting teachers to try and know their students on a different individual level. Sure some may be unwilling to open themselves up but it is worth a try. Ferguson was able to reach these boys because she put herself out there for them and they saw that as wow she really wants to understand me.

1 comments:

Lesley said...

I hear Prof. August in your what.so what/now what formula! Good points here. DOes this remind you of article you read for FNED as well?

LB