CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, April 13, 2008

“If you’re not on MySpace, you don’t exist.”

So I decided after reading on you tube and myspace that I would blog on, of course, my space. I have mixed emotions on how I feel about the website and each reading brings up very good points. Much of the first article I find a description of what myspace is. I must say it is a great way for teens and even adults to stay in contact with one another. It does create a great socialization skill throughout the world. However, It does create an issue when you notice that people are unable to carry on a typical conversation without mentioning someones comment about this person, or someone looked terrible in this picture, etc. It also creates an issue among students in schools that cannot necessarily look their teachers in the eye, or even another person for that matter. Many people are fixed on typing into a computer that eye contact doesn't really matter.
Now granted the second article did a question and answer and gave pros and con's to the website, I feel that many of the pros are things teenagers wouldn't even think about. Myspace is a great way to get students to test the waters on creating a website and understanding different codes and more. Just last semester I was enrolled in a class that required programming. Now had it not been for recently having a Myspace I think I would have been a chicken running around with my head cut off. I must say yes, myspace does have a positive aspect. However, I don't think those aspects are what teens are interested in. I feel that myspace for teens is a way to keep up on the latest gossip, turn their sexuality up a few notches, even for people to find a possible way of dating.
Much of what the second article does is look at myspace in a positive way (like a teen would) and a negative way (like a parent would). This type of thinking is to be seen through any aspect that reveals lives on the Internet and such an open field.
One of the things that I must agree with is the statement, “If you’re not on MySpace, you don’t exist.” This statement is beyond true to all myspace users. Every person that I have talked to about this website and knows I do not have a myspace I get the response, "What's Wrong With You!!!!"
I could honestly go on for days on how I feel about this website. I just want to admit that their are many positives and negatives to this site. A positive is the computer aspect of it. A negative is what happened last week to a young girl who was brutally beat up because of myspace comments. I'm sure we've all heard the story and I'm honestly disgusted with this story.

1 comments:

Bri's Blog said...

hi ashlee...hope you had a great weekend. i just wanted to let you know i posted our working outline for the project on my blog...please check it out...please let me know if there is anything i can change. see you tomorrow :) - bri